An effective editing and proofreading is a crucial stage in the writing process that people often neglect.Writers should not take these two for granted because even the smallest error can result to embarrassing or even costly outcomes.
Editing and Proofreading Defined
Editing is the first task that you need to do after you finish writing your draft. You need to ensure the logical flow of ideas, as well as the smooth transition between paragraphs.
Proofreading, on the other hand, means reading and checking the text after editing. It aims to spot and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, grammar, and format.
Effective Editing and Proofreading Tips
Do you desire to enhance your editing and proofreading skills? Heed these tips:
- Get some time away from the text.Do not edit and proofread a paper that you’ve just finished writing. As the content is still too fresh and familiar, you might misread and skip too many errors. Take a break and set the paper aside for a few hours, days, or weeks depending on the length of the paper. The longer the piece, the longer you should wait to check it.
- Decide on the best medium to use. Some people feel at ease working on a computer, while others like to sit back with a printed copy that they can mark up as they read.
- Try changing the look of your document.Modifying the size, spacing, color, or style of the texts may do wonders to your brain and make you think that you are checking an unfamiliar document. It can help, as well, if you get a different perspective on what you have written.
- Find a quiet place to work.Avoid all kinds of distraction. Don’t edit and proofread while watching TV or doing anything that will take away your attention from what you are doing. Find a place where you can concentrate on your work.
- Do your editing and proofreading in several blocks of time.Your focus may start to wane if you try to finish all the tasks in one sitting. Refresh your mind by taking short breaks. Listen to your favorite music or bake some cookies. Don’t edit or proofread while you’re on break.
Another way to avoid these unwanted errors is to let the experts polish your work. Backed with several years of experience, AlliedWriters is committed to give you a readable and error-free paper. Visit its web site to know more about its reliable editing and proofreading services.